Saturday, August 21, 2004

A bike ride? Almost...

I woke up today thinking it would be a Saturday without cycling. A downpour woke me at 4:30 AM - just in time to retrieve todays newspaper from its (plastic-wrapped) spot in the middle of the rain. I luckily fell asleep again, and awoke to a very wet day. Ah, a walking day. But wait - in the afternoon, the sky grew lighter, and the pavement was drying out. Time to attempt a bike ride.

As I headed off, my neighbor expressed concern about my being on a bike and the distant thunder we heard. My bike headed out anyway - with me, of course - but we didn't get too far. I turned home after only a half a mile when the thunder got stronger and it started to rain. The rain was light, but given the forecast I decided to be careful. I put the bike in its usual shelter - in the dry garage - and came inside to quickly change into walking togs. I headed out, luckily with an umbrella. After I'd been out only 10 minutes, an incredible downpour started. Even with the umbrella I was soaked when I got home! Hopefully I'll be able to wander out again later on foot. The bike will have to wait for tomorrow's forecasted sunny, cool day.

A walking day afer all...