Sunday, May 02, 2004

Vacation decisions... not one, but three!

After having major vacation indecision for what seems like months (it really wasn't that long...), I've finally figured out how to maximize my vacation time and my biking time. It was about four weeks ago when I settled on my first trip - a week (in late July) riding in the Canadian Rockies, starting in Jasper and riding south to Banff and then on to Calgary. OK, one week covered, but that's not enough for the year. I settled in to travel planning with plane, train, hotel, and hostel reservations. All set...

Next my thoughts turned to Hawaii again! Well, why not? I did ride there just last year, should I go back? When? Fall sounded like a good time, a way to extend the biking season but to still be in reasonable shape with lots of mileage on my legs. I kept checking air fares, and they were crazy expensive, so I checked for available seats using miles. Excellent, I can use my miles for a late October trip. That's it, back to Hawaii with my bike. That decision was made just last week, so I'm still working on the reservations. I know where I want to stay, just have to make some phone calls to the B&Bs and the funky hotels.

Not done yet... I've wanted to visit Nova Scotia for a long, long, time. It's supposed to be beautiful and a wonderful place for biking. But I just didn't want to go for an entire week. I think I've figured out a reasonable long weekend trip that will give me almost 4 days of cycling in Nova Scotia and a day in Maine. Sounds good, that's slotted into mid-June. This is the trip that's the closest on the calendar, and the one for which I've done almost no planning. It figures that I'd do my planning in reverse! Guess the Nova Scotia planning is next on my agenda.

Three vacations to three beautiful places - what riches!