Wednesday, June 30, 2004

It's amazing how expensive....

...healthcare is. I received a bill from a lawyer's office that apparently works with Lawrence General Hospital to collect money from patients. Luckily for me they incorrectly had the bill indicating that it was an auto accident, which apparently makes the auto insurance company the primary payor and the health insurance company the secondary payor. I called to get this straightened out and to have the Lawrence General Hospital bills forwarded to Blue Cross. Actually I think Blue Cross already has part of the bill based on a conversation I had with the ambulance company who took me from the hospital to the hospital's helipad. But I digress. I spoke with Blue Cross too and in the process was told the total amount they'd been billed so far from Mass General Hospital. Wow! The Lawrence General Hospital bill was for $6400, and that can be added to the Mass General bill of $42,000. To say nothing of the bill from Spaulding Rehab. And not to mention the individual doctor's bills!

It's amazing how expensive healthcare is - and I have to say I'm very happy that I have good insurance. I can't imagine having to pay bills this large when I didn't expect them in the first place. I really didn't plan to crash my bicycle and to end up with such interesting injuries. Interesting to the docs, perhaps - I really could have done without them!