Sunday, July 04, 2004

How long was I supposed to stay off of a bicycle?

Well, I tried to wait until I got an OK from the neurosurgeon, I really did. But that was pretty much doomed when my appointment for this past week was canceled and rescheduled for two weeks out. I've been walking pretty steadily, but that's really not enough. I feel much improved, although not back to normal yet. So yesterday I gave in...

Yesterday I started the day by taking my Pocket Rocket - the bike I was riding in the accident - in to my favorite bike shop to be repaired. And by the way, there really was little damage to the bike. Once the shift/brake levers were pushed back into the normal position on the bar, everything was working fine. They are going to repair the flat tire, and since I was about to take that bike in for a tune-up before the crash, it's getting a tune-up now. The other important thing I did was to buy a new helmet.

As I came home, I was still waiting until my doctor's appointment.

I watched the prologue of the Tour de France on television. Then I went for a walk into Andover and back again - about 4 miles total. Then I sat around for a bit. Ate an early dinner. Still feeling restless, and the days are long. So - at 6pm my bike and I headed out the door for my first ride since the accident. I managed at 13 mile ride at about a 13 miles per hour pace - slow, but respectable for a first ride. I'm a happy cyclist!

And - I didn't feel that (previously broken) pelvic bone complain while I was on the ride. It was a bit sore when I got off of the bike and started walking around the house - but that's what ibuprofen is for, right?

I repeated the ride today. Well, first I went for a hike with some friends for about an hour and a half. Then we had lunch. Then I took a shower to wash off the bug spray we had to use to stop the ever-biting mosquitos in the woods, then reapplied my heavy-duty sunscreen. And then - I went for another bike ride - 19 miles this time. I have to admit I was moving very slowly today. I can blame some of the slowness on a headwind, but some was probably just me. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

Am I doing damage to my still injured head? I don't think so, but i have to admit that the swollen spot above my right eye was a bit annoyed and seemed to be more swollen at the end of the ride. Hmmm... well, now that I've started riding again I don't think I can stop...