Sunday, October 17, 2004

Chilly, but a good biking day

The temperature hovered in the low 50s today, so I'd have to say it was a transitional clothing day for cycling. I headed out wearing my normal cycling shorts with the addition of knee warmers, a long-sleeved jersey (!) and a wind vest. It was pretty chilly starting out, but I was warm by the time I returned home. I'll be off my bike for the next couple of weeks since I leave Friday for my first trip to Hawaii in years where I'm not going to be traveling around by bicycle. I have a feeling that when I return home and return to my bike that I'll need to be wearing even more layers.

Another thing that will likely change when I return home is my daily footwear. It's mid-October, and I'm having a hard time believing that I've continued to live in my Chaco sandals. I switched to running shoes for my early morning and early evening walks, but I've continued to wear sandals during the day. I think it's turned into a game to see if I can not switch to day-time shoes until I get back from Hawaii!

Funny, as I rode today I noticed a change in squirrel behavior. Squirrels usually run out in front of me - or between the wheels of my bike - but today they seemed to adopt chipmunk behavior. They'd sit on the side of the road, look at me, then go bounding off into the woods or over the grass. I was happy that they weren't playing suicide games.