Monday, April 19, 2004

A hot day, and the first commute by bike of the year (with a push from the wind)!

The forecast for today called for temperatures in the mid-40s in the morning, rising to the high 80s by the end of the day. Not an ideal temperature for the Boston Marathon, but it sounded reasonable to me for my first bicycle commute this year. That is, it sounded reasonable until I heard about the projected 30 to 40 mile an hour winds by late afternoon. Oh, wait - the forecast called for the wind to be out of the soutwest. That works, since to get home from work I need to ride to the northeast.

I'm so glad I rode today - it felt great - and I'm also glad that the wind behaved. Yes, it was very windy, but for the most part it was a tailwind or a slight cross wind (but still from the back). It would have been hard to get home if I'd been headed into that wind!