Friday, April 30, 2004

Commuting decisions based on the weather...

OK, I'll admit it, I'm a fair weather bicycle commuter. It's still early in the season, with weather iffy enough for me to wait until morning to make my final commuting decision for the day. The alarm went off this morning, and my immediate thoughts were it's too dark, it's too cold, I could sleep longer... No Denise, get out of bed! The weather was beautiful. 45 degrees, a little chilly but easily handled with knee warmers, arm warmers and a wind vest (along with my normal biking shorts and jersey, of course). And by afternoon it was supposed to be (and was) in the 70's. It's so nice to ride to work - no wonder I get cranky in the winter when I can't ride!

It's been a good start to the commuting season for me. My first ride to work was on Patriot's day (marathon Monday) when the afternoon temperature was forecast to be in the 80s along with 30 to 40 mile an hour winds. Luckily it wasn't windy in the morning, and the afternoon wind was out of the southwest so it actually helped push me home. Two days of riding this week, and I'm hoping for at least two next week. A good start...