Saturday, April 17, 2004

A taste of early summer

A bit hazy, but you could tell the sun was there. Warm. Breezy. Oh, it's getting windy... was that a temperature drop?

Most of the trees are still brown - except for the willows which are showing their early spring yellow-green color - but the grass has turned green, and the early spring perennials are showing their green. Not too many blooming flowers - just crocus - but it's a start!

The temperature was predicted to rise into the 60s, but it was still in the 30s when I woke up. I used the cool morning hours to run errands and do things in the house, then headed out with my bike at noon for a loop I hadn't done since last year. It's always nice to ride on roads I haven't been on in a long time! My loop started at home, wandered through Middleton and Danvers to Topsfield, where I made the turn back to the west. As I got closer to the coast (heading toward Beverly) I could feel a very cold breeze. Hmm... maybe I should have worn my knee warmers! Not to worry, the temperature resumed it's warm feel once I turned for home. A nice ride...