Saturday, December 04, 2004

Funny...

...driving from California to Hawaii?

One of the travel discussion sites that I often visit is Lonely Planet's
Thorntree. This morning one of the exchanges on the United States branch really made me laugh. A woman from Scotland says "I am planning a road trip from San Francisco to Pearl city in Oahu to visit some friends". Based on a continuation of her trip description I think she is looking for a travel (driving) companion for the part of her trip between San Diego and San Francisco, but the way the entry is worded gives the strong impression that she plans to drive from the West Coast to Oahu. Even the response to direct questions is a bit off!

Here's the part of the discussion that really made me smile:
reader from Washington state: You're driving from California to Hawaii, then?

author of the initial post (who sounds like she is very young): Yeah I know the distances are long but hey that why I want to travel with someone... Do you know of anyone who interested? ...Pics would be nice but would anyone want to see them though?

reader from Washington state: Of your drive from California to Oahu? No question about it, we want to see those pictures... Oh, and in exchange for those pictures I will be more than happy for pay for your petrol.

response from the original author: I am not planning on maps - I am just going west I guess I end up in Pearl city somehow. I don't believe you. My bf says that you can drive any where in the USA on the highways. Hawaii is in the US - Go figure.


Do you think she's kidding? I actually think this was a troll, meant to cause reactions. At least it was a troll that caused laughter; I've seen many that were absolutely biased and rude.