Monday, December 27, 2004

Taking an exercise break keeps me less tired

I know this, and I proved it to myself again today. It's important both for my sanity and for my energy levels to take a break during the day - either for a session at the gym or for a walk outside.

I started the day today with an early morning walk even though the temperatures were in the mid-teens and there was lots of snow on the ground. I have the advantage of living next to a college campus, and even though the students are still on their mid-year break, the roads were cleared early in the morning. That was a good start to the day, and I planned a mid-day walk or workout. Somehow I didn't get out of the office during the day. I wanted to walk, but I let my assumption that sidewalks were probably still covered with lots of snow keep me inside - and rather than go to the gym during the day I figured I'd just keep working and leave for the gym right at 5. That almost didn't work, because when the end of the day rolled around I felt very tired. I almost went home, then I thought better of it and headed across the street to the gym at the Marriott. I felt much better after my workout. And my experience really cemented my feeling (or knowledge) that I need an exercise break in the middle of the day!

Tomorrow...