Thursday, December 23, 2004

A season a day - from cold to snow to fog to warm

What season did you say this is?

It's been a crazy week from a temperature standpoint - from Saturday's chill that scared me away from going for a bike ride (yes, I know, it's not normal to expect to ride a bike in December in the Northeast - but who said I was normal?) to snow to freezing cold to a gray day with temperatures in the 50's. If I had any control I would vote for the temperature to be stuck in the 50's, but somehow the weather doesn't seem to be very interested in listening to me.

Saturday was cold and in the 20's, a very reasonable day for a long walk.

Signs of the season - bare branches and a bit of ice...


But there is still some green showing too!


Sunday was cold too, but temperatures in the 30's convinced me that it was a decent biking day. I was moving pretty slowly, but it was good to be out on a bike! Clothing-wise, I almost had it right... I started with cycling shorts and Pearl Izumi AmFib tights, a sleeveless long underwear top, two layers of Patagonia Regulator fleece (an R.5 shirt plus an R1 pullover) and a windbreaker. Heavy gloves, socks, cycling shoes, and shoe covers, and a Pearl Izumi microsensor skull cap under my helmet finished the layers. Almost warm enough - but my hands and feet were a bit cool. I should have worn my Lobster Mitts, and I should have used those stick-on warmers on my shoes. Next time...

Then the snow came, and then it got very cold. Monday morning I somehow convinced myself to walk before work. The temperature was in the high teens, and it got lower as the day progressed. My morning selection of a time to walk outside was probably the only time of the day when I could have pulled that off! I was very glad to have a place to exercise indoors for the first couple of days of the week.

On Wednesday I almost got myself into one of those exercise nightmares. I didn't walk in the morning, and I got tied up in meetings during the day so I didn't walk at lunchtime either. When I left the office I was tired. Too tired to exercise? Well, I decided that I was tired because I hadn't done anything. So to not do anything in the realm of exercise that evening would probably only make things worse. A good brisk hour-long walk (outside of course, who needs a treadmill?!) really did make me feel better.

Friday was destined to be the day I thought should stick around for the winter. It was very foggy in the morning, but the day ended up being a real December treat with a high of 57 degrees. Too bad there probably won't be too many days of that temperature for a long time. And too bad it was a work day as opposed to a play day - it would have been a good day to wander around on a bicycle. I guess I'll have to be satisfied with chilly bike rides for now though.

The disappearing snow as viewed in the morning fog