Sunday, December 05, 2004

What's that I hear?

...that howling sound? I think it's the wind...

Today's ride almost didn't happen. I almost let the sound of the wind scare me off, but luckily I walked outside before I made the decision to skip my ride. Yes, that was the wind howling, but no, it wasn't really cold out. When I left the house the temperature was 49 degrees, so I chose relatively light clothing for this time of year - my biking shorts, leg warmers, toe warmers (not full foot warmers), a long underwear tank top, a Patagonia R1 fleece top, a windbreaker, and of course my helmet. It wasn't cold enough for a hat, but I did wear Earbags to keep my ears warm. Not quite total winter cycling attire, and for the most part it worked for me.

It was very windy out - windy enough that I only got blown off of my bike once. I managed to stay upright though. And the temperature dropped quite a bit in the hour and a half that I was out - from 49 degrees at the start to 42 degrees when I returned home. Unfortunately I think that's a sign of things to come.