Sunday, February 15, 2004

Dreaming of sunshine...

Winter? Why? It's time to escape, and I'm definitely in trip-planning mode. I'm heading off to what I hope is a sunny long weekend at the end of the month - a bit of hiking in Sedona. The weather? Well it might be warm, and it might be cool, but it should be an improvement over the cold Northeast. Red rocks are on my mind...

Three days in Arizona will be nice, but I need a bigger vacation in the not too distant future. I think I'm getting closer to a decision. Actually, I feel like the decision is just jumping out at me. Yes, I'm going! The long list of possibilities for this year's bike tour seems to be collapsing down to one. Vacation time is limited, but now that I've accepted that I need to take all (or almost all) of it at once, a trip to British Columbia and Alberta seems to be the winner. I've had a variation of this trip in my mind for many years now. It's morphed a bit, and now includes 3 modes of transportation - in addition to the plane that I'll need to take to get there and home again. Planes, trains and automobiles? Nope, not this time - bike, ferry, and train! Where? I'll fly to Vancouver, ferry over to Vancouver Island, and ride up the east coast. Next is the ferry up the Inside Passage to Prince Rupert, followed by a 2-day train trip on the Skeena to Jasper. In Jasper, I'll get back on my bike for the trip down Icefields Parkway (wait, I guess that is up and down given the hills...), to Banff, and then on to Calgary. Now I just need to decide if that's really where I want to wander this summer, and if it is, I need to figure out the logistics. The ferry runs on odd-numbered days in July and even-numbered days in August (or do I have that backward?), and the train runs only on Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday, so I'll have to pick the right dates to get them to line up. As I read this, it really sounds like my decision is made, but it's still tumbling in my brain... you'll need to check back for the real decision! It's still early, and I could still decide to go somewhere else entirely...

It felt good to get a short bike ride in yesterday - outside! The weather was cooperating as it was in the high 30's when I ventured out. The roads were a bit messy though with snow melt - my bike and I were a mess when we arrived home. Time for a good wash and re-lube!