Saturday, February 28, 2004

One more hike - out in sunshine, back in serious snow!

After my stop at the library I took advantage of a change in the weather to head out to the Soldier Pass Trailhead. The sun was peeking out, and the red rocks still had quite a covering of white powder. It was a very pleasant walk out along the trail. There were a couple of other cars in the parking lot, but I didn't see any other hikers this afternoon. I heard some other people, then saw them up ahead. I thought I caught up with some other hikers, but it turned out that they were on a jeep tour. The jeep and foot trails intersected at a couple of points.

I walked, took pictures, walked, tried to miss the mucky mud, walked, took pictures, forded a stream, walked some more. I don't think I quite made it to the end of the trail, but the trail started looking like it was heading up a rocky streambed, and I decided that was enough for today. I turned and started heading back, and it immediately started snowing again. It was mild at first, but it became a more intense storm. I tried to capture the snowflakes with my camera, but I think the camera screened out all of those white blobs! Snowflakes? Not really, more like soft pellets.



A beautiful hike, a beautiful day, a beautiful place!