Friday, February 27, 2004

Red rocks? Red mud!

I pulled into the parking lot at the Boynton Canyon trailhead thinking that perhaps I was a little crazy to set out in the rain. But wait - there's another woman getting out of the only other car in the lot, popping up a wild-colored umbrella, and setting out down the trail. OK, I'm not the only crazy one! Camera in hand, hot pink umbrella providing a little bit of shelter, time to head out to commune with the red rocks.

The rain let up after a very short time, and I discovered that the red rocks make a very messy red mud. Still, it was a beautiful hike. The mist flirting with the tops of the rock formations reminded me of my very misty ride down the Antrim Coast in Ireland last September. Some of those pictures were fine, so I kept clicking away. The scenery was beautiful, and the mist made it even prettier.

The clouds seem to be lifting a bit, maybe a good sign, or maybe wishful thinking on my part! I was toasty warm on my hike - except for my hands, that is. I just checked the local weather, and it's only 39 degrees. I kept thinking I should dig into my pack for my gloves, but I just didn't do it. It would have been smart...

Time to head out again - as I passed the library I thought I'd take advantage of computer access to do a quick post, but it's only 3:15, and there is more hiking out there just waiting for my feet.