Tuesday, September 28, 2004

New running shoes for walking, and...

...I bought them on the web! On the whole, I really don't like shopping in stores - with the main exceptions being books, cycling stuff, and outdoor equipment. Before the web I got into the habit of purchasing most of my clothes through mailorder catalogs; that's been switched to online purchases for a long time now. But one thing that I usually bought (note the past tense here!) in person was shoes. I give up - I can buy shoes over the web too!

This all started with my attempt over the weekend to buy a new pair of running (walking) shoes at a local athletic store. I've been walking in my Chaco sandals since June but there's starting to be a chill in the air, and I thought it would be a nice idea to leave a pair of shoes for walking at the office. That way whenever I felt I needed a mid-day walk I'd be all set to go. I was looking for shoes made by Mizuno since I was happy with my current pair. I walked into the store, headed to the shoe section, and asked to see Mizuno shoes in a size 6 that were good for someone with a high arch. The sales guy recommended 2 pairs then went to get them for me to try on. The first negative was when he came back out saying they were out of size 6 and did I want a 6 1/2. Hmmm, what made him think a half size bigger would work? I wrote down the names of the shoes he had recommended, then checked them out on the Mizuno web site thinking I'd find a store that carried them. Negative point number 2 was that in spite of my asking for shoes that were good for a high arch, the two pairs the guy recommended turned out to be for someone with a low arch!

I didn't want to go wandering around to other stores to find the shoes, so I decided to order the shoes online and just hope I made the right choice. Amazingly enough, not only did I order the right shoes, I found a great site for buying shoes. I ordered my new Mizuno's from Zappos.com on Saturday, and they were waiting for me when I got home from work on Monday. That was great service, and there was no shipping fee. And as it turns out, if I needed to return them Zappos.com would cover the return shipping fee too. I guess I've broken through the not buying shoes online habit. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?